Friday, October 19, 2007

Whoa!

This morning I met a painter at the building and was talking to him as I walked inside. I stopped in mid-sentence when I saw what the place looks like--it's completely different from yesterday. Here's an example: the first picture is what the "bathrooms" looked like yesterday, and the second picture is from today.





Whoa, those framing guys are fast. Here's what the window between the café and kitchen is going to look like:



How cool is that? Given how quickly things are getting nailed into place, Aaron told us that we had five minutes to decide on the final location and layout of the café counter and the bar where we're going to have seating for people using laptops. Yes, this is the kind of thing one would usually decide before drawing plans, but we didn't have time then, because we were contending for the record of fastest permitting process known to the city of Denver (which we accomplished). Luckily Aaron got some calls on his Blackberry (see above), so Jill and I had little longer to design the counters. I'm not sure exactly what we told Aaron to do, but it's going to be fantastic.

The other really exciting news is that I baked some chocolate chip cookies, and they're good. You might not think that's a big deal unless you knew that it was my sixteenth attempt to make decent cookies since moving to Denver, and the previous fifteen batches have been total flops because of the altitude. This has been greatly affecting my self-esteem: my secret chocolate chip cookie recipe (well, not so secret, since I've taught it to about a hundred people) has been a source of pride since I got it almost ten years ago, but since moving here, all I'd been able to make were thin, tough, bumpy-looking things that spread weirdly and had uneven coloration. I've been growing increasingly desperate as I've changed one variable at a time to try to adjust the recipe, because each successive failure cast more doubt on both my cooking and science skills. The process was disturbingly similar to my Ph.D. research, although significantly shorter and less expensive. Sixteen variations on chocolate chip cookie recipes later, I have produced cookies that I would say are very good. I should have taken pictures of the failures so that you could appreciate the improvement, but it was too depressing at the time. Jill and I have also conducted extensive hot cocoa, chai, and biscotti testing. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes but you also have success if the cookies finally turned out! What variable was it?

October 19, 2007 at 5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, does the door open into a bathroom or is there a hall behind it?

October 19, 2007 at 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home