Monday, February 18, 2008

Lots of classes!

This past week has been busy, and the coming week is pretty full too. We had a private event last night that went late, and then I taught a class this morning on hors d'oeuvres. Jill and I ended up doing a lot of cooking for the private event, so we were both really tired, and I fell asleep on top of my comforter without setting my alarm, so I barely woke up in time for my class today. It wasn't an auspicious beginning, but the class participants were great and we had a good vibe going, so it turned out to be a lot of fun. We made some very tasty hors d'oeuvres, including coconut shrimp, potstickers, empanadas, and chicken satay. Look how happy these people are to be making empanadas!



I also taught classes every evening of last week except Monday (my "day off", which is actually the day I spend on the phone lighting fires under people's feet to make them do their jobs). I was kind of dreading the Valentine's Day class, because I knew it was made up of four couples, and I was afraid there was going to be a lot of canoodling. Nothing wrong with a little of that, but it's hard to teach a class and get the food made when pairs of people are physically attached to each other. However, my fears were for naught, because the everyone in the class was totally fun and had a great sense of humor about the fact that it was Valentine's Day and all normal people feel kind of silly acknowledging the cheesiest holiday of the year.

Tuesday night was the first (of two) Cake Decorating classes, and Wednesday was the first (of two) Cooking Basics classes, so I get to see both groups of people again this coming week. I'm looking forward to that--it's fun to get to know people a little better than a single class allows, and it's also very satisfying to be able to see progress from one class to the next. I've been thinking about different ways to foster that type of longer-term relationship with the class participants--maybe some kind of cooking club? Then again, that concept brings images of 1950s housewives clucking over each other's Jello creations, which is not what I'm going for. I need to develop the idea a bit.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This all sounds as though GS is on the right track. I'm glad the classes are filling up and that the people are fun (and that everything turned out).

February 18, 2008 at 6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home