Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Get your generosity on!

It's time for our Fourth Cook for a Cause--this Sunday (June 6) we'll be cooking from 8 am to 8 pm and donating all the food to the Carpenter's Cupboard food bank in Wheat Ridge. If you haven't been part of one of these events before, they are super-fun. You get to hang out in our nice kitchen with fun people, make a ton of food, eat some of it, feel like a good person, and go home without cleaning up. What's not to love?

We still need help in the 12-2 pm and 6-8 pm volunteer slots, so please register at www.GenerousServings.com/CookforCauseJune6.html if you'd like to join us.

I can feel the G-force pushing the air out of my lungs as the summer acceleration kicks in. In two weeks we've got the Highland Street Fair to deal with, and then my first Culinary Camp for Teens. We're also running a deal with Living Social, one of those websites where you buy a coupon for a big discount at a store, so we hope that will bring the mobs stampeding into Apres. We're now putting the final touches on our next Apres menu item, a cupcake-sundae-peanut brittle creation. Last week we debuted our Flaming Pineapple dessert, which is officially called Roasted Pineapple Flambe with Pineapple-Star Anise Sorbet and Spicy Caramel. It is good--the sorbet part is the staff's new favorite. Plus, we really wanted to light something on fire. We first tried this dessert with regular rum, which didn't light on fire very well, and that was very disappointing. Then I bought some Bacardi 151 rum, which has a warning on the label that it should not be used in flaming drinks or dishes, which is pretty funny since I've never heard of anyone using 151 for any other purpose. Man, does that stuff burn.


Another new thing that we're doing is breakfast burritos. If you don't live in Colorado, I can't explain this phenomenon to you. Yes, it's a burrito with breakfast-type foods in it, but that doesn't begin to hint at the passion many Coloradans feel for this dish. People have been asking us to make breakfast burritos for a while now. Actually, since the day we opened. I've been resisting that whole time, on the grounds that pre-cooked eggs are disgusting and breakfast burritos are not a real food recognized anywhere other than this state, but I'm just too tired to resist any more. Now that we have the kitchen to ourselves in the morning, we can cook the eggs close to when we sell the burritos, so they don't sit around and do that bizarre congealing thing eggs do. I know that some people buy their burritos ahead of time specifically to let all the ingredients meld together and get soggy and gross, and I don't want to hear about it. I prefer to live in denial. So come get your precious breakfast burrito, with your precious homemade green chile, before I get to work in the morning, and don't tell me about it, because there are some things that we can just agree to disagree on, and we don't need to keep bringing up sensitive subjects like how disgusting it is to eat chorizo and chiles for breakfast.


3 Comments:

Blogger mari said...

I would so be there for your Cook for a Cause if I could magically transport myself to Denver for a few hours.

I'm afraid I must disagree with you - at least partially - about breakfast burritos, however. They have a passionate following in New Mexico, as well. I'm completely with you about the eggs (yech), and I personally think chorizo is kind of gross. But I love a breakfast burrito with regular sausage, potatoes, green chile, and lots of cheese. I used to bring back a half-dozen frozen in my suitcase each time I visited my parents. They're moving to Hawaii now, so I've sadly lost my source.

June 3, 2010 at 8:10 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

We do breakfast burritos here too in fact we were thinking of getting them for the after baptism party. :) These ones do not have meat in them or your Verde salsa but they are fantastic.

June 3, 2010 at 9:22 AM  
Blogger The Cooking Doctor said...

Mari, you're right, I totally forgot that they make breakfast burritos in New Mexico. I am amending my statement to say that breakfast burritos are not a real food recognized outside of this region.

June 9, 2010 at 1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home