Sunday, November 11, 2007

Do Not Decorate Cupcakes Like This Woman

I was surfing around on amazon.com and I came across Sandra Lee's "Semi-Homemade Desserts", cookbook, which shocked me not because she "cheats", but because of the way she's holding the pastry bag in the cover photo. Check it out here. What the heck is she doing? You do not squeeze the bag from the middle--that is pastry bag SUICIDE! I think she got a little distracted making eyes at the camera. Sheesh.

Speaking of semi-homemade, I just read that an archaeologist at UCLA conducted a study of American families' cooking habits, and she found that the average amount of time spent cooking dinner was not different based on whether the people used "convenience foods" (pre-cut vegetables, bagged salads, even "meal kits") or not. It took, on average, 52 minutes for all the people in the study to make dinner. I think Food TV has done a disservice by making people think it's reasonable to cook dinner in fifteen minutes or a half an hour. That just doesn't happen, and it's frustrating to try to do anything if you haven't left yourself enough time. I think an hour is a good amount of time to leave for making a relatively straightforward dinner. Not necessarily every night--leftovers are fine, and takeout certainly has a place in my meal planning--but if I'm going to cook, I don't want to be rushing off to something else. Of course, it's happened: I've eaten more than one homemade meal in my car because I was late for a meeting, and I'm pretty good at using a knife and fork while driving, but I wouldn't recommend the practice if you can avoid it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandi looks like she's holding something else entirely! The make-up is impressive, though, kind of like drippable food coloring to accent her half-a***d delicacies.

dehydratedoldchef

August 1, 2008 at 3:32 PM  
Anonymous Morgan said...

You guys are amazing! I'm sort of new to the area and have a real interest in food, cooking, and business. I plan to come by your store this Thursday with a friend, and after reading your blog so far, I would love to hug you! :) You and your sister are such impressively hard workers with seemingly great attitudes; you're an inspiration to me as I figure out my own business aspirations, and I will continue reading your posts from now on. I find it most incredible that you made time to document your start-up on this blog while you had so many other, overwhelming tasks to complete. Congratulations on everything, and I wish you great success! See you Thursday. :)

June 1, 2009 at 11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home